Saturday, April 24, 2010

cheese bread attempt #1

One of my favourite things about heading back home to the Philippines is cheese bread. I swear, if I can live off one kind of bread for the rest of my like - it would be cheese bread. There's something so addictive about cheese encased in soft, sweet bread. I could never get anything thats even close here in Australia, so I figured that when I was bothered I would try and recreate it.

Piecing together an ingredients list and a method from various sources, including Philippine Bakels and City Girl Gone Country for the ever so confusing "no time dough" method stated in the method in Philippine Bakels, I came up with my own way of doing things. It's kinda messed up and odd.


INGREDIENTS.
makes about 8

  • 1 3/4 cups of self-raising flour
  • 1/4 a cup of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of dry yeast
  • 1/2 a cup of water
  • 1 egg
  • 10 grams of vegetable shortening (I used melted butter instead)
  • cheese cut into sticks for the filling (the cheese should be flavoursome and meltable)


PUTTING IT TOGETHER.

  • Mix together the yeast, flour, sugar, water, egg and shortening.
  • It might be super gluggy, so add flour and sugar until it forms a nice doughy consistency.
  • Knead the crap out of it.
  • Lightly oil up a microwavable bowl and toss the dough in, then flip it over so it's oil side up.
  • Cover with a wet towel, and a dry one on top.
  • Put it in the microwave it for 25 seconds.
  • Let it rest for 5 minutes.
  • Run it through the microwave again for another 25 seconds.
  • Let it rest for 15 minutes.
  • Roll the dough out and and separate it evenly.
  • Encase the cheese in each portion of dough.
  • Bake at 180 degrees for about 10 minutes.

Align Left


I don't think I'm a big fan of the no-time bread method. It doesn't seem to produce the right texture (mine turned out dense as opposed to light), and the cheese I used wasn't right, but it was what my father wanted, so I guess it was okay. It tasted okay though =D

But just a query - every time, I've baked bread from scratch, the crust and outside is always so hard/chewy. Is there any way to make it softer?

No comments:

Post a Comment